6.09.2008

Natural Fatherhood Defined, part 1

This natural father believes:
  • Homebirth is best. It's safe, it's cheap, it's been happening for thousands of years without doctors and hospitals. Trust it.
  • Unassisted homebirth is the ultimate DIY project. I highly recommend it.
  • Circumcision is cruel and stupid. Go watch one if you disagree.
  • Vaccinations are dangerous. Giving small babies multiple vaccines is so new that we don't know the consequences. Maybe autism. Maybe SIDS.
  • Co-sleeping is where it's at.
  • Wearing your child on your body, in a sling or in a soft pack (Ergo-style), is as natural as birth.
  • Homeschooling works. Unschooling works even better. It's not hard.
  • Your children are miniature people. They learn by watching you, and just because they don't know the language doesn't mean that they are dumb.
  • Natural foods are the basis for health in children and adults. Eating quality nutritious food will save you grief and money in the long run. It's your health plan.
  • Grow your own food organically in whatever space you have. It makes sense.
  • It's important to have "papa time" that is just for you. You have to work on yourself and listen to what your needs and wants are. Just because you are a father does not mean that your personal development is done. Quite the contrary.
  • Everyday brings a new lesson, a new opportunity. Make the most of it.
Natural fatherhood is not mothering for men. It's the role of a man fully engaged in raising his kids in a good way without the macho b.s., a man that is awake and aware and growing. A man that has a strong spiritual path will naturally pass on that tendency to his children through spiritual fathering. And when I look around me at the world, I see a big need for men that are strong fathers, spiritual fathers.

There is a lot of focus on mothers and mothering, and it would be great if we started hearing more about fathering. I say fathering instead of fatherhood: fathering is active, and fatherhood a state of being, seems to me. I'm going to use natural fathering to describe what I do. Natural fatherhood is the state I aspire to.

1 comment:

  1. Amen!
    Very good points indeed. I can't agree more with this point "Natural fatherhood is not mothering for men. It's the role of a man fully engaged in raising his kids in a good way without the macho b.s., a man that is awake and aware and growing. A man that has a strong spiritual path" It's good to see that other fathers out there realize that all of the b.s. attitude parents are passing on to their kids is detremental. People to this day are amazed at how polite our daughter is...We take pride in that.
    Kudos, good read!
    The Zen Dad
    http://www.zendad.net

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.